This week we visited Gracie’s in Leeds, NY where I had a delicious iced matcha latte sweetened with vanilla and coconut milk. Inspired, I made matcha latte ice cream.
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened coconut cream
- 2 - 3 tablespoons matcha (green tea powder)
- ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 vanilla bean
- 6 eggs yolks
- Whisk together heavy cream, coconut cream, ¼ cup sugar, matcha, and sea salt in a medium saucepan. Split vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape in seeds; add pod.
- Once bubbles begin to form around the edge of the pan, remove from heat. Taste custard and add a tablespoon of matcha or sugar if desired.
- Cover and let steep for 30 minutes.
- Whisk egg yolks and ¼ cup sugar in a medium bowl until pale, about 2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in ½ cup warm cream mixture. Whisk yolk mixture into remaining cream mixture.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat a wooden spoon. (Mixture should reach about 170°F.)
- Strain custard into a medium bowl set over a bowl of ice water; let cool for about an hour, stirring occasionally.
- Process custard in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Transfer to an airtight container. Freeze until firm, at least 4 hours and up to 1 week.
Did you enjoy this post? Support Trans Lifeline. Trans Lifeline offers direct emotional and financial support to trans people in crisis.